Sunday, April 28, 2013

Crashing into spring

...in a dying HP pc, hence my unplanned blog-cation. J 

But have no fear! I am back to thrash my way through cyberspace and coax my wheezing and uncooperative machine despite its countless mock-deaths until the gears, transistors, baler-twine or whatever the hell is inside it decides to run a while. A new-to-me computer is waiting in the wings! Stay tuned.
 
In the meantime, I’ve single-handedly vanquished winter, depression, mud season & cold temperatures here at Holy Crow Farm, or at least outlasted them. The daffodils are finally blooming after sprouting from the ground & then holding their breath for two months. There’s even enough sparse green grass on my woodsy hilltop that I let the horses graze awhile today. They have to be eased into grass or they’ll eat themselves sick. Horses feel about new grass the way I do about White Lightning ice cream.

And the daffodils finally outnumber the little plastic fence insulators I nail to trees and posts to keep the electric fence hot. (I accidentally tested the electric fence myself the other day. Just thought I'd mention it works.) The insulators are exactly the same yellow as daffodils and during the Grey Months, I take heart at the bright spots of color in a landscape of neutral shades. In the early spring, I’m disappointed whenever I race towards yellow on the ground hoping for an early bloom only to find it’s a forgotten plastic piece.
 
But hey, it’s always an encouraging sign. Sooner or later, the flowers take the hint and burst into bloom.

2 comments:

  1. Just what ever you do...with a dying PC....make sure you make a back up! You sure do not want to loose any of your writings or work! it is easy to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've missed your blogs, Liz. Welcome back! May we always outlast the Grey Months!

    ReplyDelete